Sooooo....it's been a while. For those reading this regularly, I apologize! School picked up quite a bit with midterms and papers galore so there hasn't been a lot of extra time to blog (or sleep). I am however, back for a more steady stream of updates as I just finished my last midterm for the semester :).
I had to shorten my fast a little due to financial strains (out of veggies and money :( ) but I can still give some relevant info on how it went.
For one, I lost 21 pounds as of today! So I definitely achieved my goal...times two! I would like to say though that I didn't lose it all through the diet - I worked out daily. Lots of cardio and some killer workouts from a Navy Seal trainer. Also important to mention is the fact that I DID NOT BINGE when I cam off the fast. I eased myself into solid food very slowly, and for the first week, I stuck with broth or vegetable soups and whole grain soft pita bread.
Another goal I had set was for my face to clear. I've had cystic acne since I was 10 years old and it has been the bane of my existence. I have tried everything short of Accutane. I was really hoping that this detox would clear my skin. Previously, I was using birth control solely for the skin-clearing benefit and Proactiv. As this cost me about $65 a month, I really needed a cheaper and more healthy alternative. I began using undistilled organic apple cider vinegar and a natural tea tree oil soap. I hate to say that I still sit here with some of the worst acne I've ever had............BUT as I've done more research, it appears that my first breakout was a detox reaction, and when I broke my fast before it completed, the toxins that were coming out through the breakout were stuck in limbo and caused my skin to be more broke out than before. Needless to say, I was a little frustrated and embarrassed at having pizza skin again (as I use to call it). I am waiting a few weeks and I'm going to do the detox again in hopes of clearing my skin permanently and finishing any other detox effects that I stopped prematurely.
Now on to the food. I, the queen of cheesy pastas and cream sauces...crave salads, fruit, and whole grains! I'm amazed at myself. I don't even want dairy. For example, I had a salad today with walnuts, mandarin oranges and gorgonzola cheese...and the cheese made me kind of nauseous. While this saddens my Portuguese taste buds, my body is definitely happier with the food I've chosen to put in it. I've noticed significant differences in my energy level, attention span, and mental clarity on the days that I've eaten for fruits and vegetables than anything else. My appetite has also shrunk....which is a miracle. I've always been known for having an appetite too large for a woman. Small to medium pizza...pfft I got that. At my house, when we have cookouts, our burgers are divided into "kid burgers," "woosy woman burgers" and "burgers," the latter being approximately 1/2 pound of ground chuck. These were my general fare, along with baked beans, chips, corn etc. We had burgers this weekend and I was barely able to finish my little 1/8 lb burger, and actually had to remove the cheese.
Simply put, my body craves what it needs rather than what I think it needs or what I want to taste.
I've accommodated this by making substitutions such as homemade balsamic vinagrette salad dressing instead of ranch (packed with some nasty stuff) and homemade ketchup and tomato soup (that alternatives have corn syrup in it-not good!). Other substitutions include raw honey and organic Grade B Maple syrup in the place of sugar, whole grain instead of white bleached flour, and fruits and home-baked goodies instead of candy and sweets.
The key here is CHECKING THE LABELS. Several people have said they would love to go organic or all natural but it's all at specialty food prices. This is true in some cases but definitely not all. If you check the labels...and watch for brands free of additives, preservatives, and chemical components...you can eat on a healthy diet without breaking the bank. For example, Hunts tomato sauce has a line of 100% natural pastes, sauces, and diced tomatoes. These are only cents more expensive than the store brand. Newman's Own has an awesome line of pasta sauces and salad dressings that are on the low end of cost and can be bought at Wal-Mart. There are also healthy alternatives for bread....just make it! There are scores of easy and tasty bread recipes online, many that take very little time. I use a sourdough recipe that yields a loaf better than Panera's that takes a total of 20 minutes of my time. This healthy alternative makes a huge difference in kids as well, since packaged breads have a lot of preservatives that kids take in on a daily basis. Small concessions like natural peanut butter (Barely Natural is a really yummy kind) provide healthy proteins and Essential acids while still allowing you to eat what you love. I use Polyner Spreadable fruit for jelly...as it has no added sugars or preservatives. It also makes a wonderful syrup when melted for whole wheat pancakes and waffles.
Now, I said all that to say that living a healthier, more natural and organic lifestyle is not as hard as it sounds. It's a matter of reading labels and using healthier alternatives for the things you already eat. You won't be able to replace everything, as few have the budget to allow a 100% organic lifestyle, but the more natural food you eat, the more you're supplying the body with what it really needs. Hey, if a food-loving college kid can pull it off, anyone can :).
Well I'm going to run the lake here in Stillwater. I made some three bean - vegetarian chili that should be done slow-cooking by the time I get back. :)
Have a great day!
Bethany
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment